NB247

The kidnappers who abducted six school children, three teachers and a bus driver on Monday in Emure Ekiti, have reduced their ransom demand from N100mlion to N15miion.

Sources close to the families of the victims say the kidnappers are threatening to kill the hostages should there be further delays.

However, the police in Ekiti stayed that they ate not aware of the demand for ransom.

Sunday Abutu, Police PPRO in the state said instead, the police command along with other security agencies were carrying out the combing of the bushes to ensure the hostages were rescued unhurt.

The children and their teachers were kidnapped on Monday by the armed bandits at Emure Ekiti while they were heading to Eporo-Ekiti.

The incident also occured simultaneously with the attack on the traditional rulers by suspected bandits who killed two of the three monarchs.

It is not yet clear if the kidnappers were the perpetrators of the killing of the traditional rulers.

The Commissioner for Information in the state, Taiwo Olatumbosun, said on Thursday that the state government was aware of the demanded for ransom, but would not detract from the effforts to rescue the hostages unhurt.

“We are following up on that; the government and the security agencies are strategically at the background to ensure we track them down,” Mr Olatumbosun said.

“The governor has met with all the security stakeholders in the state and we have also deployed the necessary technology to ensure track down the kidnappers.

“After meeting with security chiefs and the traditional rulers, the governor has communicated with the appropriate national authority to increase the security manpower of the state.”

The commissioner also denied that there has been similar attacks in recent past as alleged in viral video during governor’s visit to families of one of the traditional rulers murdered in Monday’s attack.

The woman in the video had alleged that the Bororos, who are marauding Fulani herdsmen had been killing the villagers before now and nothing had been done.

Mr Olatumbosun said the allegations were borne out of emotions following the killing of the traditional rulers, adding that in fact, no such attacks in the last one year and a half had occured in the state.

He said the recent attacks should be seen as a reflection of the security situation in the country.

He assured that efforts were already in place to mobilise all the security apparatus in the state to ensure there is no report of the Monday incident.

Meanwhile, arising from a meeting of traditional rulers in Ekiti State with the governor, the Council of Traditional Rulers in the state expressed their sadness over the death of two of it’s members, Samuel Olatunji, the Olumojo of Imojo-Ekiti and David Ogunsakin, the Elesun of Esun-Ekiti and the abduction of school children and their teachers in Emure-Ekiti same day Monday January29, 2024.

In a communique signed by the council’s Chairman, Ayorinde Faboro, the Olojudo of Ido-Ekiti, the monarchs condemned “the sacrilegious and brutal killing of its members and the kidnap of school children and their teachers in Emure-Ekiti.”

The Council called on Governments at all levels to ensure the perpetrators are apprehended and made to face the wrath of the Law in no distant time.

“Council further calls on the Federal Government to deploy more security personnel to Ekiti as the State is generally underpoliced,” the statement further read.

“Council demands that the State Government should empower the traditional rulers with adequate resources to police and secure their domains.

“Council members have been directed to take all necessary measures to ensure all forests currently occupied by bandits and kidnappers are flushed out immediately and that no bushes and forests are occupied by anybody henceforth.

“Council calls on all regular and native security systems to work together to end all manners of criminalities in the State.

“Council appeals to all Ekiti home and broad not to panic nor apprehensive as drastic measures will be collaboratively taken to ensure Ekiti is secured.

“Council calls on patriotic Ekiti indigenes all over the world to generously support their communities to provide local security arrangements to protect lives and property in all communities.

“Council commends the Governor for providing quality leadership at this time and encourages him to remain focused.

“Council commiserates with the bereaved families and communities of the late Obas and prays for the ropes of their souls in eternal rest.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *