NB247

The Ondo State Government has again raised the alarm over alleged extortion of students in public secondary schools by some principals.

It condemned the principals for allegedly  extorting parents and guardians under extraneous covers, for the payment of unauthorised fees.

Only in September last year, the government had made a similar allegation against the principals warning that it would deal decisively with any found collecting unauthorized fees.

The government neither apprehended or punished any of the erring principals, despite complaints from parents.

Complaints of collection of exorbitant fees came largely from the state’s unity schools.

The government on Monday in a statement, alleged that it had also received information on principals involved in the collection of unauthorized fees without naming names and apprehending any errant principal.

Like it did last year, it simply issued warning to the principals and threatening it would punish anyone caught doing so.

Commissioner for Education,  Femi Agagu, said the  principals were extorting parents despite Government’s decision to pay WAEC Fees for students in the State’s Public Schools.

“It must be reiterated for the benefit of all that the total approved collectibles for Public Secondary Schools is 4,450 Naira for Returning Students and 5,800 Naira for New Students,” he said.

“For Final Year Students, additional payment of 2,800 Naira has also been approved as Administrative and Practicals Charges.

“Any other  payment  demanded from parents and guardians  are illegal and unauthorised.”

Agagu explained that the development was a clear act of sabotage that is highly reprehensible.

He said government would thoroughly investigate all reported  cases and sanction all culprits appropriately.

Government, therefore, enjoined all stakeholders to be vigilant and report any of such confirmed extortion to the Ministry of Education Science and Technology.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *